Thread: Nikon SB-28 fires only at the second frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For the benefit of others, taping over the unused pins on the camera hotshoe seems to stop the flashes cutting out over night. I can't explain why this seems to work but it reflects Tom Mason's comments in his camera trap video where he refers to Emmanual's book and Nikon cameras.

Camera trap has been running fine for a fortnight now no problems.DSC_E0540.jpg DSC_2054 HD.jpg

Thanks all.

Hi Kevininbath, could you share pics of the things you taped off ? I was also reading TOm Mason comments on his YouTube channel. He shows, not very clear, where he tapes off the ground pin on this hotshoe that sits on the camera

Thanks

Hi Kevin, great Fox image. So the only other thing you had to do to your Nikon set up other than blank off the unused ports is rewire the AS-10?

King regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom / Daniel,

Sorry I've not been here for a while, hopefully this rough sketch illustrates my solution.

The flash-1 hotshoe connector (on the end of the SC-17) was fairly easy to re-solder and move a wake signal onto the unused quench output pin for the SC-26/27 socket and cable to flash-2. However, the quench and ready pins back to the camera are still connected at flash-1 inside the SC-17 hotshoe hence electrical tape to isolate these at the camera hotshoe. Re-soldering the cable and pin inside the AS-10 for flash-2 was a bit tricky, the plastic around the pin melts very easily but the same logic here - ie transfer the incoming trigger/ground/wake signals carried by the SC-27 sync cable to the correct pins on the SC-10 hotshoe.

Flash Hardwire.jpg

Another fox captured using this set-up
    DSC_1949-Edit Ltrm.jpg