Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nikon SB-28 fires only at the second frame

I had the same problem with my YN-560 III and I do an electronic PCB to take 2 pictures per trigger, like this at least the second one is flashing

That's interesting. I tried to use Yognuo YN-560 III and 560 IV but couldn't ever wake them up again. Do you have some schematics ?

Quote Originally Posted by lynxlynx.ch View Post
    I tried to follow your instructions, but unfortunately i couldn't fix this issue. I guess i did something wrong. That's why i created a visualisation

Attachment 78

On the left side is the original cabeling from the Pixel TF-322. Only X-Sync and Ground are connected to the PC Sync Port.
    I soldered the Handshake & Data to the Ground Connection of the PC Sync Port. It is still working but always only from the second trigger. What am i missing ? Or what did i wrong ?
    Maybe the chaining of my 2 Nikon SB-28 is wrong ? That's why i created a schematic for it...

Attachment 79

Any ideas ?

thank you very much !

Kind regards

Lars
    On your schematic you shortcut some datas transfert wire, you will probably break your DSLR if you try for long time like this... (i think, without know how is made inside DSLR)

thank you for your feedback.
    I already fixed that and i replaced the pc sync port with a 3.5 mm jack port.

Hi,

I use Yognuo RF 603II for my 2-3 SB-28 flash setup. Nikon D200 / D3200
    There the flash comes immediately upon the first frame. I modified the 603's to take bigger batteries for longer operatation time. They have worked well in rainstorms, snow and down below -15C in the winter.

Hello from Norway.
    For years, I've had the problem that only a Nikon SB-800 flash wakes up on the first image. It has been very annoying but has been solved by taking two photos in a quick order. Flash number two wakes up on the second picture. The batteries on the flash number one burn out faster than flash two, and it's not possible to use my D3200 because it can not be set to take only two pictures. The solution to the problem I found here, with three wires and Pixel TF-322. Thank you very much!
    Marten. Two SB-800, some daylight and Nikon D700. Forum.jpg

Beautiful marten picture!! Glad you were able to figure out your lighting issues with the help of the forum and hope you post more images from Norway.

I use Youngnuo RF 603 II wireless triggers since one and a half year. No issues other than the short battery life without extending it somehow. I soldered a connector to i so i now have several weeks or more standby time. I use 2-3 SB-28 with a Nikon D200 and a D3200.

Sometimes i alos use a SC-17 cord and that works for one flash.

Emmanuel Rondeau sells an eBook with excellent information about camera trapping in general, but also the description how to attach flash units in such a way that they wake up on the first shot. Its geared towards Canon camera with Nikon SB-28 flashes, but I guess it would be the same for other brands (except Sony NEX, as I tried recently, it looks that Sony does not have a 'wake-up' signal). I can highly recommend this eBook, it costs only a few Euros.

Nikon wiring

Quote Originally Posted by -jeff View Post
    The SC-27 and SC-28 does use three conductors. The problem is one of the conductors is connected to the Data(Q) pin rather than the Handshake(SP) pin. So, to make this work you will need to do a little re-wiring of the AS-10 and SC-28.
    Dear Jeff,

After having battery and sync issues with my wireless triggers so I've taken a stab and rewiring the SC-17 connector and SC-27 three core cable to carry the wake signal, essentially using the red 'quench' pin in the SC-27 as the wake and moving the 'quench' red wire in the SC-17 connector onto the 3-pin socket. I tested the setup with my multimeter and all connections looked good, and after connecting the flashes to the camera both triggered on first fire as expected.

However, leaving the trap overnight the flashes stop working. I think the second (last flash) goes to sleep and doesn't wake - worst still it prevents the first flash firing because if I turn the secondary flash off the main flash will fire again. If I turn everything off and back on it all works.....goes to sleep and both flashes wake etc.

I was hoping the hardwired system would be more reliable! Any thoughts please.............here is one of my successful shots with the Hahnel Captur wireless triggers, just too many batteries to fail.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images