Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon SB-28 fires only at the second frame

Hi All,

I'm using a Nikon camera and SB-28 attached via Nikon (3 core!) SC-27 flash cord to a Nikon SC-28 extension cord and back to the hotshoe - having the same problem and the flash connected via the 3 core SC-27 cable wakes on first frame and fires on the second if the flash is allowed to sleep.

So although I have three core cable it appears to carry the Ground, X-Sync and Data but not the Handshake, does that sound correct? It appears there is a way to rewire a Nikon AS-10 as documented here http://www.emmanuelrondeau.com/publi...r-camera-trap/ but that talks about making a connection to a canon camera not Nikon, so I think there is a need to isolate one of the pins at the Nikon camera with electrical tape if using the SC-27 as a final connection back to camera?

In the scenario you describe does the last flash still use the X-Sync to fire the flash?

Thanks

The SC-27 and SC-28 does use three conductors. The problem is one of the conductors is connected to the Data(Q) pin rather than the Handshake(SP) pin. So, to make this work you will need to do a little re-wiring of the AS-10 and SC-28.

Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for this valuable information ! - I have just checked with my local dealer and he can provide me this cable :-).
    I also found some 3.5 mm Jack ports in my "spare parts box". I guess i could replace the PC Sync Port with these and make some customised 3.5 jack cable with your suggested Belden 8451 ?

3.5 mm jack port - s.jpg

It might be a tight fit. If it won't fit, you could make a short pigtail on each TF-322 with a female 3.5mm connector.

That's a very good idea. I'll make a short pigtail if the plug won't fit.
    I guess i can make this cable work but i discovered now a much bigger problem: i can't get any 3pin Nikon cable anymore. Do you have a source where you can get this 3pin nikon plugs ? Maybe just only the plug ? i mean between the first flash and the second flash i would solder a cable with a 3.5 mm male jack on one side and the nikon 3pin connector on the other side....
    thank you very much for your ideas

The Nikon three pin connector and cable is getting hard to find. I use the Belden cable to make all my flash cables.

It took me a while to get all the material, but i have finally modified the TF-322.
    As you guessed, my "old" 3.5 mm port won't fit so i organised new ones and followed your advice to make pigtails. I soldered a part of the belden cable to ground, handshake and data of the TF-322 and now the first cable is ready and working :-)

TF-322 - modified.jpg

thank you very much Jeff !
    I now have only the second part left, to connect the first flash with the second one. I finally found some old SC-19 cable and will solder the the 3 pin plug to one side and on the other end another 3.5 mm jack plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good.

Thank you very much again Jeff - Without your help i guess i would still trying to figuring out how the flash cables working,
    I have finally finished the setup last weekend. Unfortunately i couldn't figuring out how to use the SC-19 cable, but it doesn't matter anymore. There is no need for this kind of cable anymore. I modified some more TF-322 like seen on the above post and soldered 3 7m long jack cables and a shorter 2 m.

IMG-3318.jpg

As the SC-19 cable didn't work i remembered that i hat this Stereo splitter for hearing the same music from one music Player on two headphones. I tested it with the two flashes and 3 cables and it worked .
    I bought an ABS box and created my own splitter with 4 3.5 mm jack ports, for connecting 3 flashes to it.

IMG-3319.jpg

IMG-3321.jpg

I have tested the setup the whole sunday on the terrace and will put it back in the woods again next weekend.

So thank you again for your huge help !

Kind regards from Switzerland

Lars

Excellent. Looking forward to some great images!