Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade camera trap: Canon 40D + PIR + LDR + ATtiny 85 in Lunch Box

Jeesib: Hi, thanks, I am glad that my post is helpful for someone. I will answer your questions, but regarding STL - they are not available anywhere, as it was just "first trial" and the fit of counterparts is not ideal. But if you are aware of it and want them anyway, I can upload them somewhere in next few days.

The Arduino will work fine as a logic for camera trap, but I found it to obig overkill in terms of inputs/outputs and of course power consumption. The LDR is just a sensor for determining the amount of ambient light. What is it used for depends on code. Yes, I only want to take night photos (as only wildlife approaches it at night) currently, but with small code modification, I am able to change that behavior. But I am not able to change its behavior in a field with current setup (I need a computer with Arduino IDE and shield for programming ATtiny). I carry pre-programmed day/night/day&night spare chips if I need to change its function in the field.

The reason to connect the 3.3V directly to related PIN on pin sensor is to bypass the linear regulator and to have only single power loss in step-down converter. So In theory, this option is more energy efficient.

Regarding first black picture - you are right, this could be solved with TTL cable that transfers both shutter and focus signal. Unfortunately, I would need to make custom cable to connect Canon camera with Nikon flash and I found this is more expensive than going wireless - with Yongnuo rf603 II wireless triggers, which support cross-brand wireless operation (transfers both shutter and AF signal from Canon device to Nikon device, etc.).

Regarding box, I seek for bigger (and still cheap) option, so I can fit also whole lens inside.
    Last edited by Oki_; 02-22-2023 at 09:49 AM.

Hi Oki,
    Yes, if you don't mind, I would like the files as is. Just let me know where to download.

Till I read your post I never heard of the Attiny85, that is why I choose for the Arduino....
    So, I will test with the Arduino, it is already on it's way. But probably for the real set-up, I will use the Attiniy85. I should be able to stay somewhere in the mountains for a long time (the longer the better).

Good choice for the Yongnuo triggers I think. saves you a lot of work which is sometimes the better option.

thanks for your answers anyway, very happy with it.

The first photo of a red fox motivated me to continue in this genre of photography. In addition to the fox (and about a dozen cats �� ), a neech marten occasionally visits the garden. I was not able to recognize any frequently used route - it always comes from a different direction. However, I saw on the camera footage that it often climbs on the wheels of old farm equipment. So I tried my luck at an old "rooted" Zetor, which although I've never seen it on, it is a photographically and compositionally interesting spot. When I looked at the photos two weeks later, I couldn't believe my eyes - it was there!

kuna_skalna_6980.jpg

The setup in the field is still the same, but I gear up: I managed to get two SB-28s as well as Youngnuo triggers. I only need to make some external power source to the receivers so it lasts at least 2 weeks.

Jeesib: I uploaded all related STLs to my personal page:
    https://ondrejzvozil.sk/uploads/file..._trap_STLs.zip
    The password to unzip is "CameraTrapper"
    Last edited by Oki_; 02-27-2023 at 12:08 AM.

Ow wow, what a great pictures.
    Yes, I woiuld love to have two SB28's my self too.
    But first to make my test setup.

Thanks for the STL files, I downloaded them.
    I will open a thread for my self with my plans.

Beautiful images. The setting with the old tractor is really nice.

great shots! thanks for the write up on your kit.

Really an ingenious project Oki, well done!