Thread: Challenges with DSLR trap camera uptime

Challenges with DSLR trap camera uptime

Hi forum,

I was wondering if someone might be able to shed light on my battery problems. My setup gets no more than 24-48 hrs worth of trapping. I usually get a total of about 5 or 6 minutes video (120FPS 1080P) and then nothing is recorded for the 3 or 4 days after that.

Here's my setup (photo attached)

- Sony A7sii
    - Camtraptions PIR 3 with wireless receiver
    - To power the Sony A7sii: Cygnett 20000mAh USB-C Power Bank plugged into a Tether Tools ONsite Relay A Camera Power System (that plugs into the Sony's battery compartment)
    - Deity shotgun mic (which has its own internal rechargeable battery)

Camtraptions PIRv3 with 6 new AA batteries (Energiser or Duracel), Wireless receiver has 2 new AA batteries (Energiser or Duracel) .... I get 24-48 hrs usage and then nothing is recorded. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I did notice, the last time I opened up the trap box, that when I turned (off and back) on the Sony it was saying the batteries were exhausted. Yet the battery bank was saying 50% full. A couple of days later, I went back to the system and the Sony is now working fine off the same battery bank (which I didn't recharge). And the Sony is now reporting 100% power (off the battery bank).

Ideas I have had about what could be the cause:
    - Camtraptions chewing through batteries (probably not)
    - Camtraptions receiver not receiving signal through the Pelican case (receiver is about 5m from sensor) ... but then why is it working for first 24 hrs.
    - the Cygnett power bank (designed for phones I guess) isn't playing well with the Tether Tools relay ... ? Maybe there's some sort of current draw limitation
    - the Sony is overheating (doubt it because it should start working again after cooling down no?)

Would anyone have any other ideas?

Etienne

FullSizeRender.jpg

A few thoughts......

-Make sure the camera is going to sleep or turned off between motion events.
    -I'm not familiar with the Tether Tools ONsite Relay A. It may be drawing power when the camera is off between motion events.
    -I looked at the Tether Tools website. It looks like the adapter has a USB A connector that plugs into the USB A jack on the Cygnett power bank. On the power bank you have one USB A and two USB C connections. The USB A connection is capable of 3 Amps of power at 5 Volts. The Tether adapter then converts the 5 Volts to 7.2 Volts to power the camera. Some power packs power off when they don't detect a load and will not power back up when needed. You might check that by setting up your camera trap at home and running it through many motion events.
    -Another way to power the camera is with a battery pack made to power cameras. The Sony NP-F type batteries put out 7.2 Volts and will not need any conversion. This type of power pack is on all the time with no internal electronics drawing power.
    -Most USB power packs don't put out the advertised rating. Take a look at this forum thread about testing batteries and power packs. https://www.cameratrapper.com/showth...and-capacities

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by -jeff View Post
    A few thoughts......

-Make sure the camera is going to sleep or turned off between motion events.
    -I'm not familiar with the Tether Tools ONsite Relay A. It may be drawing power when the camera is off between motion events.
    -I looked at the Tether Tools website. It looks like the adapter has a USB A connector that plugs into the USB A jack on the Cygnett power bank. On the power bank you have one USB A and two USB C connections. The USB A connection is capable of 3 Amps of power at 5 Volts. The Tether adapter then converts the 5 Volts to 7.2 Volts to power the camera. Some power packs power off when they don't detect a load and will not power back up when needed. You might check that by setting up your camera trap at home and running it through many motion events.
    -Another way to power the camera is with a battery pack made to power cameras. The Sony NP-F type batteries put out 7.2 Volts and will not need any conversion. This type of power pack is on all the time with no internal electronics drawing power.
    -Most USB power packs don't put out the advertised rating. Take a look at this forum thread about testing batteries and power packs. https://www.cameratrapper.com/showth...and-capacities

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.
    Hi Jeff,

I think you are right ... I just read that the Cygnet power bank will automatically turn off when it decides that it is not in use. So it has circuitry in there that tries to decide when it should be on or off.... and that might not play well with the camera being asleep and turning on (it does go to sleep). A bit annoyed at the review that I read that convinced me to buy the Tether adapter matched with a phone battery bank!

I think I'll invest in a Sony battery with dummy plug. Will report back.

Etienne