Thread: Suitable flash(es) for camera trapping with Canon DSLR

Lightbulb Suitable flash(es) for camera trapping with Canon DSLR

Hello camera trappers,

I am building a custom DSLR camera trap consisting of old Canon EOS 40D, wide angle lens, ATtiny microcontroller, PIR motion sensor and LDR to detect day/night.
    For now, I am only interested in daylight operation, but in the future, I would also like to try night photos with flash, so I am seeking for suitable flash.

I did a little research and I found out that Nikon SB-28 is a great choice due to its excellent stand by power managment. But obviously there is a compatibility problem with Canon, I would need a custom cable (or wireless trigger) to implement wake-up function with half press of a shutter.

What is other option compatible with Canon? I found very little regarding canon stand by power managment, so I assume it just switches off the power to capacitor and recharges it only on wake (which takes few seconds). On the other hand, some newer Canon speedlites have ability to turn off power-saving mode, which will drain the batteries in a few days. Is there some Canon (or 3rd party flash for Canon) flash with similar power managment as Nikon Sb-28 has, so it can stay in ready-to-shoot mode for many days/weeks? Thank you!

I have a box full of new aftermarket flashes that I had hoped would have the same sleep characteristics and the SB28. I have not found one yet.

This is kind of sad but valuable info for me. So there is no flash even close to SB28 battery-run performance? That means for me, that If I have an opportunity to get SB28, I should get it...

Yes many of the SB family are great, not just the SB28, the SB25 and SB26 are great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ikeeisenhaur View Post
    Yes many of the SB family are great, not just the SB28, the SB25 and SB26 are great as well.
    And the SB24 and the SB80-DX too.

So really no flash dedicated for Canon?

Nothing made by Canon or anybody else that I am aware of. The Nikon flashes work fine with the Canon DSLR body. You can connect with wireless triggers or a custom cable. There is a forum post here on how to make a cable. https://www.cameratrapper.com/showth...e-second-frame