Thread: Consumer Electronics Show 2022

Consumer Electronics Show 2022

CES 2022 was held in Vegas again this year after a virtual CES for 2021. It's always fun to see the latest electronics gadgets the creative manufacturers are trying to bring to market. Many of the products are prototype and may never make to market. This year was no exception. CES is usually a time for camera manufacturers to introduce new models and it's a great time to get hands on experience with the cameras and talk to the manufacturers representatives.

I started attending the show in 1998 when it was moved from Chicago to Las Vegas. Previous years the crowd numbers were high and the exhibit area was so tight that seeing everything was almost impossible. I spend the four days from opening to close on the floor and know that I am not going to see it all. This year crowd numbers were down considerably and the show floor was laid out for social distancing. Lots of room between exhibits, wider isles and lots of open space in the halls made it much more enjoyable. At the last minute, CES decided to cut a day from the show schedule. With the lower number of manufacturers and attendees, I think I was able to see about everything in three days. The whole experience this year was actually better than years past.

BUT, the main reason I attend is to see the latest in camera technology. This year I was disappointed to find Sony brought their electric car, a new satellite technology and a few other items. No cameras at all. Canon did the same. No cameras. Same with Panasonic. Nikon backed out of the show just a few days prior to the opening.

Even with the lack of consumer cameras, camera technology was present at the show. AI was present in many of the products. AI based on camera technology. From self driving cars to security systems to home automation to cameras in your refrigerator that will tell you when you are out of milk. There was a exhibit that had an automated pet feeder that would only open when the correct pet would show itself. Past years this product line used a tag on the collar of the animal. Now it recognizes the face of the pet. Useful when you have multiple pets with different diet requirements.

Another technology that was present for the first time was restaurant automation. From ordering to food delivery to the table, it was all done by robots. I guess they work cheaper, no vacation, no workmans comp, no social security and hopefully, no tipping. The underlying technology is all based around camera AI.

Seeing all the AI products makes me wonder what we are going to do with all the displaced workforce. If I was a kid in high school and had a technical aptitude, I think getting into electrical, mechanical or computer engineering and specializing in robotics would be a good career choice.

So, here are a few pictures of some of the products at the show.

Electric vehicles were everywhere. Cars, bicycles, motorcycles, airplanes, tractors, etc.

That's about it. Looking forward to next year!

I can certainly relate to the crowds and lack of space at such events. I attended "The Photography show" in the National exhibition centre in Birmingham, UK, on several occasions but the overcrowding and the fact that you could not get near the exhibitors stands because of the amount of people really put me off.
    There looks to be some nice looking tech there Jeff. I particularly like the look of the electric motorbikes and probably more affordable than the Bugati.

What stood out to you as the most promising or innovative use of AI in the consumer electronics showcased at CES 2022?