Thread: Nikon Z50 Mirrorless DX Camera

Nikon Z50 Mirrorless DX Camera

I had the opportunity to see this camera at the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show in January. I was really looking forward to a mirrorless DX format from these guys. It could be a great camera for camera trapping and long term timelapse generation. It's a very attractive camera. 20.9 mp and 4K video. But they left off the remote shutter port. The only way to trigger stills or video is using a $50 bluetooth remote. It seems Nikon is leaving off the port on all the entry level cameras. The D3400 and D3500 have the same problem. I know the camera trapping and long term timelapse market is not huge but if Canon and Sony can include a remote port on the entry level cameras, Nikon should too.

The Z50 may be a good, but not exceptional, debut for Nikon's Z mount APS-C mirrorless system. it's great handling, good shooting speeds and autofocus, nice image quality, and solid video performance for its intended market.

Maybe, in time companies like Cognysis or Camtraptions may come up with a solution to this. In the meantime I will be sticking to compatible, used DSLR's.
    Now maybe a good time to keep an eye out for decent used D3300 or D5300 or similar, as a spare.