Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SB-28's (external power)

Did anyone consider using a Nikon SD-8 or SD-8A Battery Pack together with a SB-28? (A=European market, with different power plug) According to the SB-28 manual the recycling time will thus be shortened from 4 to 2.5 seconds, full power recovery. The pack holds 6 AA batteries wich looks like some xtra power although the remaining 4 in the flash get a different function: 'The Speedlight itself should be fitted with four batteries as per normal as these will power the Speedlights electronics - LCD, zoom head etc'. So, not the dreamed power extender but the short recycling time nevertheless is appealing. What do you think, is it worth buying one?
    Last edited by NielsK; 09-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -jeff View Post
    My favorite method to extend life of the Nikon SB flash is to use two dowels and a couple brass wood screws. Then run the wires to two or three banks of AA battery holders.

Attachment 204

Attachment 205

Cheap, but works very well.

Hello.

I have never used SB28 before, especially with external battery supply.

My idea is to use two Double D Holders with two AA adapters each from Camtraptions (this way each Double D holder will take six AA batteries), connect them in a row and then plug them with dummy batteries into the flash unit. This way, I will have 12 AA batteries and overall voltage of 6V (or 4.8V with NiMH rechargeable).

Usually, all battery holders of this kind use battery clip connectors for 9V batteries.

Unfortunately, the 9V connectors come with pre-soldered wires that are 26AWG (this gauge is not very thick). I can see that the wires in your pictures look similar gauge.

My question is: Is there any chance the 26AWG wires of the connectors can overheat during charging the flash unit?
    Last edited by Awanawanga; 10-29-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awanawanga View Post
    Hello.

I have never used SB28 before, especially with external battery supply.

My idea is to use two Double D Holders with two AA adapters each from Camtraptions (this way each Double D holder will take six AA batteries), connect them in a row and then plug them with dummy batteries into the flash unit. This way, I will have 12 AA batteries and overall voltage of 6V (or 4.8V with NiMH rechargeable).

Usually, all battery holders of this kind use battery clip connectors for 9V batteries.

Unfortunately, the 9V connectors come with pre-soldered wires that are 26AWG (this gauge is not very thick). I can see that the wires in your pictures look similar gauge.

My question is: Is there any chance the 26AWG wires of the connectors can overheat during charging the flash unit?
    The wire in the picture is 22ga and works fine for a short run.

Thank you for your answer.