Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SB-28's (external power)

SB-28's (external power)

What does everyone use for external power to get your SB-28's to last longer while in the feild? From what I have heard the cameras themselves are not the limiting factor it is more so the flashes. Was curious as to what everyone does to make the flashes have a longer duration in the field.... thanks

https://photography-on-the.net/forum....php?p=8010673

https://photography-on-the.net/forum...d.php?t=525726

HELLO TO SUPPLY MY SB28 AND SB 24 NIKON I USE THESE VERY EFFECTIVE METHODS THAT EXTEND THE LIFE OF MY FLASH FOR WEEKS AND ADDITURE MONTHS IN SOME CASES.
    I PUT YOU LINKS BECAUSE ON THE TOPIC THERE IS REALLY ON THE NET JUST TYPE DIY EXTERNAL BATTERY FLASH SB28 NIKON.

My favorite method to extend life of the Nikon SB flash is to use two dowels and a couple brass wood screws. Then run the wires to two or three banks of AA battery holders.

20200405112728-bd126343-xl.jpg

20200405112727-29776df3-xl.jpg

Cheap, but works very well.

Ok ..... I did similar and used plastic pipe that a fellow camera trapper, Tim Torell, told me he does. The pipe allows the wires to run up through the plastic pipe. Very similar idea to the doweling. He mentioned to me to get the plastic pipe from Home Depot which you can actually get two sizes if you want. AA size and AAA size if necessary for your project or projects. Just cut the plastic pipe the length of the AA or AAA batteries you are using. I also just used normal screws and soldered the wires to them as shown. I also used 5.5*2.1mm DC pigtails for ease connecting and disconnecting. I plan on using these throughout the builds and flashes. I wanna do up a few builds if possible. You can reference the pictures ..........

IMG_5714 - Copy.jpg

IMG_5715 - Copy.jpg

IMG_5713 - Copy.jpg

Here is a couple more pics as well .... I used a dremel to open up a small hole for the wires to run out of the flash ..

IMG_5711 - Copy.jpg

IMG_5716 - Copy.jpg

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by -jeff View Post
    .... Then run the wires to two or three banks of AA battery holders..
    Can I see how the battery holder arrangement is made to keep the power last long

Two of these AA battery holders in parallel would double your capacity.

20200507112240-81ed542f-la.jpg

Thank you Jeff. Some folks say this method can fry the flashes. Is there a big risk?

If you have the flash set to full power, the batteries are fresh and the flash interval is set too short and too many activations happen, the flash can over heat. So, it is important to have a camera controller that you can set a delay between flashes and set the maximum number of activations per motion event. This gives the flash time to recharge the flash capacitor and not over heat. Typically you don't need to run the flashes at full power. With the newer DSLR cameras able to shoot at a little higher ISO without noise, you don't need as much flash lighting.