Thread: Lume Cube

Lume Cube

I received a new light for testing today. It's the Lume Cube. https://lumecube.com/ There are quite a few of these LED cube lights on the market now but this one has a feature that caught my attention. It has an optical sensor built in and a mode that enables you to use it as a slave flash. I charged it up and tested the slave function in the shop. It works well so far. I'll get it out to the field soon for some further testing.

How did this work out? they are nice and small would make a nice small system to use

UPDATE:

The light automatically sleeps after a few minutes and will not wake without pressing the button on the light housing. I emailed the company and quickly received this response:

Lume Cube Agent (Lume Cube LLC)

Aug 23, 4:12 PM MST

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

When the cube has not been used after 5-10min it will go to sleep. Unfortunately, that is something hardwired into the firmware that cannot be changed, however, we tend on removing this from future products!

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
    Austin

So until the update this will be another light added to the collection of possible lighting solutions.

Update:

The version 2 of this LED flash came out last week. The UPS guy dropped one off yesterday. I charged it up and tested the slave mode again. It appears it does not go to sleep after a few minutes. So far it is working great. I want to let it run now to see what the battery life is. But so far it looks encouraging.

Update:

Its still running. In the shop there are walls to reflect the strobe light and the detector on the Lume Cube will easily detect that flash of light and fire the LED. I spent a little time last night testing it outdoors. With no walls to reflect the light, the Cube is very directional. The detector is on the top of the cube and recessed into the housing. As long as the detector sees a little of the strobe light, it will work up to 40' or more. There is a 1/4"-20 female mounting point on the bottom of the Cube, so I think it will be easy to adjust the Cube where the sensor will see the main strobe. I'll be in California for the next 4 days and will leave this running while I am gone.

Hi Jeff - Have you had any success with the lume cube setup?