Thread: Australian Bandicoot trap photo

Australian Bandicoot trap photo

Sharing my first decent image from my camera trap down here is Aus. Bandicoots are small marsupials that do very well in disturbed habitats and gardens. They are nocturnal and omnivorous, foraging for insects throughout the night. I had my trap out for this one that lives in my parent's backyard, where I noticed conical diggings in soft soil next to the shed. After a couple of mishaps with my flashes, I got this shot. I run two flashes (one warm and one cool temp), with Camtraptions v2 and a Canon 700D body.

Going to be after some more shots of this guy soon!
    EDIT: Not sure why the image is so low quality...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EthanMann; 06-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Hey Ethan.....welcome to the forum. Great to see animals from the other side of the world.

Gedday Ethan, l am from Victoria Australia. There's virtually no Bandicoots around here hasn't been for around 20 years thanks to foxes and cats, until last year when l too noticed the tell tale holes. l did manage a couple of poor quality images of one running last year. Where are you located?

Hey mate, thats a shame there aren't many around. I am in Southeast Queensland, a couple of Bandicoot species here. I do hope one day to camera trap Eastern Barred Bandicoots. Probably have to go to Tassie for that.

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMann View Post
    Hey mate, thats a shame there aren't many around. I am in Southeast Queensland, a couple of Bandicoot species here. I do hope one day to camera trap Eastern Barred Bandicoots. Probably have to go to Tassie for that.
    Yep no foxes in Qld (very few) and none in tassie = no 1080 poison = quolls and other small mammals