Thread: Canon Rebel 550

Canon Rebel 550

I have a few PIR switches, the question is does the canon need to have just on/off switching, I guess the three connectors on the plug is on of and hold, if so can I just use my PIR switch to switch the camera on or will I fry it?

The connection from the PIR to the camera controls the metering and the shutter through the remote jack on the camera. On the Trailmaster PIR you have a 3.5mm stereo jack and on the camera you have a 2.5mm jack. The sleeve of the plug is ground, the ring is metering and he tip is shutter. Turn your camera on and set the sleep to the shortest time. Then, when the PIR detects motion the metering connection will be pulled to ground waking up the camera. Then a couple milliseconds later the shutter connection is pulled to ground tripping the shutter.

When activity stops the camera will go back to sleep mode.

Great again thanks, also just found a diagram on the web so it seems as though it is just a switch/pir required
    Ps the Trailmaster seems to have an issue and we are unable to set the time etc, hence the question on stand alone pir. Time for multimeter and cables play
    Thanks again Jeff