Thread: Nikon Z6 as a camera trap

Nikon Z6 as a camera trap

The new Nikon Z6 looks like it may be a good camera for trapping. Detection to start video time is less than one second. Plus it has a 10 second sleep time and a silent shutter mode for still images.

I put one in a temporary housing and set it out for a few days to record video. We'll see what it produces.

20190214163936-efacba51-me.jpg

20190214163938-e4e5f49b-me.jpg

Here are a couple videos from the Z6. The audio is from the stock camera microphones inside the case. I have fitted two external microphones on the housing and returned it to the creek.

The camera recorded 92 1080p clips 15 seconds long. Each clip was 44.5mb in size.

Here area a few videos from the Z6 with microphones attached to the housing.

The first video is after dark but turn up the audio. It was a full moon night.

The camera took 223 videos, each 30 seconds long before the battery died.

This footage looks great, Jeff

Hello from Norway.
    Today I use the Nikon D700, D750 and D500 for my camera traps, but common to all is that they make too much noise. All three can stand for months without charge, which is absolutely necessary. I am considering buying the Nikon z6 because it is silent, but I am unsure if it can last as long as DSLR in standby without charging. Is there anyone who has experience with this?

and what about autonomy ? Z6 have not a good autonomy as a DSLR and a long starting time as DSLR ones