Thread: Powerbank cable for Sony RX100-2 with wired remote control?

Powerbank cable for Sony RX100-2 with wired remote control?

Hello fellows!
    I just bought a fine "SHOOT" brand time lapse wired remote controller from ebay / China for my Sony RX100-2.
    I am very satisfied to the control box itself. I paid just 10 euros and it works just as expected. I can set time between shoots, exposure time and number of shoots. It plugs to the "MULTI" connector of the camera, the same micro-USB -type connector used for supplying power to the camera.
    That is the problem. The battery lasts only a few hours and the power connector is already occupied for the remote controller.
    I already tested that I can use camera "forever" when supplied through this power charge connector.

Now I obviously need a branch cable in between the camera (male plug) - remote (female plug)- charger (female plug) supplying both power and remote signals to the camera.
    I quickly googled in order to find such a cable but did not find.

Can you help me to find such a cable, or preferably give me instructions how to make such a cable by myself.
    I expect it to be a straightforward job: just connect power wires from power plug and signal wires from remote plug to the camera plug. BUT this assumes the remote control uses standard micro-USB signalling and pinout. Can somebody confirm?

Also would be fine if somebody could post a USB protocol used to control the camera. I do not need it right now, but probably for future jobs, when the chinese remote is not enough...

Cheers!
    camjapo

Quote Originally Posted by -jeff View Post

Thanks Jeff for the link.
    But unfortunately it does not solve the problem, because the one and only MULTI-connector is already occupied by the remote control.
    Would be fine, if it had a female MULTI-connector in order to attach the remote control in addition to the battery, but I don't see such a connector in the picture.

Meanwhile I did my own research with following results:
    - MULTI-connector is unfortunately different to micro-USB. It has one more row of "pins" deeper inside the connector, while the outer part is similar to micro-USB, thus allowing power and data connection with a regular micro-USB, while a longer special MULTI-connector reaches the extra 10 pieces of "pins" in the bottom.
    see: https://www.studio1productions.com/A...ony-pinout.htm for excellent description.
    - that same company and some chinese shops in ebay sell the connector. So one solution is to buy such a connector + a regular female micro-USB connector and do it myself.
    - However, if somebody knows where to find a ready-made cable, it would be an easier solution.

The coupler replaces the battery leaving the multi connector free for your intervalometer.

The coupler replaces the battery leaving the multi connector free for your intervalometer.
    OK, I understand.
    Would work, but leave the battery compartment open. When the battery compartment is open, it covers the tripod screw so, that I can not fix the camera. NO GOOD, unfortunately.

The RX100 II that I have and use as a camera trap and as a timelapse camera has a little hole in the battery door that the power wire runs through so you can close the battery door upon insertion of the adapter. The hole in the door has a rubber plug that you move out of the way to make room for the wire. Yours should have the same.

The RX100 II that I have and use as a camera trap and as a timelapse camera has a little hole in the battery door that the power wire runs through so you can close the battery door upon insertion of the adapter. The hole in the door has a rubber plug that you move out of the way to make room for the wire. Yours should have the same.
    Than you, Jeff. Now I found the hole when you pointed it out to me.
    So this alternative looks viable. FINE

Great, let us know how your timelapse project turns out.

Great, let us know how your timelapse project turns out.
    Just an update:

Decided to try a branch cable using this multiport connector:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shutter-Rele...IAAOSwIS9cAsIJ
    according to this pinout:
    https://www.studio1productions.com/A...ony-pinout.htm

... with no success. The remote control works fine, but the camera denied to take charge in (5V connected to A1/VBUS and A5/ground), though the same charger worked fine when connected directly to Multiport. When connecting power when using remote control, the camera decided to go off prompting "USB MODE". Apparently it does not like to use the both ports simultaneously?
    Probably would work, if configured proper way. Probably e.g. a suitable resistor connected to proper pins?

When I had already ordered the components, I found a ready made cable:
    https://www.mobilexcopter.com/shop.h...tegory=3342130

However I am not going to try it, instead taking that proven option by Jeff, install a NP-BX1 dummy battery adapter. There is just a drawback that I can not use my favorite tripod, because the cable. I just have to improvise a kind of adapter for the tripod in order to get its footprint against camera smaller.

If somebody has experiences from that mobilexcopter cable, or otherwise got the branch cable working, would be nice to hear.

Cheers

camjapo

I have not used that "Y" cable before. I have always found on other cameras when I use the USB port for power it draws constantly on the battery even when the camera is sleeping. So, my solution has always been to use the fake battery method. One thing I have done when I had a issue like you are having is to make a 1/8" aluminum plate to go between the tripod plate and the camera. Then make a notch in it to allow for the wire.