PDA

View Full Version : New to camera trapping, practicing on cats

Vberg19
01-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and started with camera trapping a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd introduce myself with some of my first results. My parents garden is a cat hotspot so I had the idea to practice camera trapping on them, hopefully providing me with plenty of opportunity to improve my technique. Here are some first results. I find camera trapping really rewarding so far, so hopefully I have more images to share and some questions to ask to this forum soon!

Cheers,

Vasco

-jeff
01-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Very nice Vasco. It looks like you are on your way. What camera and trigger are you using?

Vberg19
01-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Thank you Jeff!

My gear set up is as follows: Canon 7D, camtraptions setup (receivers, transmitters, and wireless PIR v3) and two Nikon SB-28s.
As for settings: manual focus, aperture priority, ISO capped at 1600, aperture between F9-11, underexposure with -2. SB-28s set on manual and 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16, whatever works for a frame with regard to correct flash exposure and preventing ghosting. On my laptop the colors of the uploaded pictures to this thread look weird, as if the white balance is incorrect. Do you see that too? Exported from Lightroom they look alright on my screen.

Also currently converting old 450D into an infrared camera, will experiment with it on birds.

-jeff
01-04-2020, 12:12 PM
That's a great setup and should make some great images. Just keep experimenting with your camera settings till you find a look that you like. The same setup will work well with your IR modified camera. The xenon tube in the flash will put out light across visible and infrared spectrum so, just put a 850nm filter over each flash to block the visible light and pass the IR light at night.

Here is a IR camera images using a modified Canon Rebel and two Nikon SB28 flashes.

Vberg19
01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
That's a great shot! Thanks for the info, will try it out soon. Will keep you posted about any progress or questions.